Thursday, September 27, 2012

Utah soil preparation

I decided to plant a Japanese Maple today and before doing so needed to do some preparation to the soil. The dirt where I live is terrible. It's full of rocks and even trash from the construction crew. It's impossible to put a shovel in more than 2" before its stopped by rocks. So I made a few sifters to quickly sort the dirt from the stones. It worked great. Turns out the dirt to rock ratio is about 50/50. That's really frustrating. So after sifting I add an equal amount of manure topsoil and peat moss to the rock free pile of dirt I now have. I got a 3cf bag of peat for $11, three 1cf bags of manure for $1.50 each and three 1cf bags of top soil for $2 a bag. Mix them all together and add an equal amount of native soil

The maples cost $17.98 for a 3 ft and 29.98 for a 5ft at Home Depot. They are should look great out the kitchen window and help screen the neighbors house a bit.(in a few years)

No comments:

Post a Comment